Thursday, February 7, 2013

Getting the Science Right in the Black Press - Making Headway with @EbonyMag


Why did I come so hard and so fast?

1. It was 5:30 in the morning and I wasn?t falling asleep anytime soon, and had my tethers raised.

2. I figured I?d make my points on Twitter ? mainly correcting the science of the narrative and making a case for why reporting science accurately in the Black Press to Black audiences is imperative.

3. I didn?t expect Ebony Magazine to actually respond.

This last point I really want to expand on. You see, it is a very frustrating thing being a minority scientist. And believe it or not, the folk who I (and many others like me) spend the most time fussing and fighting with are people from our own communities who look like us.? That has been my experience with ?Old-school Black organizations? like Ebony/Jet Magazine, The Church, Civic Organizations, and Social Justice/Civil Rights Organizations.? As important as they have been and are for representing people of color and serving the African-American community, they haven?t always been the most progressive when it comes to listening to Generation X/Y-ers.? They just haven?t. And science education and medical research has been one of those sticky widget conversations that has felt like a battle to me. So, I came puffed out, with my armaments on and ready to hold fast.

In the end, headway was made ? quickly, too ? before breakfast. And Science won! It?s just a start, but maybe it will be enough to get the editors and folks in the back room to thinking:

  • Hey, maybe we should run parallel science pieces that explain the topics we?re reporting! A side-by-side box explaining how Depo-Provera works would have been a sweet piece of subtle health science news for this article. (low-hanging fruit) OR

A scientist can dream, can? she?

Source: http://rss.sciam.com/click.phdo?i=15311236a2a559f795eac505b8d588e7

Jacintha Saldanha Grammy nominations 2013 Butch Jones thursday night football japan earthquake Star Trek Into Darkness Heisman watch

No comments:

Post a Comment